What is Romance? Literary currents generally emerged as a reaction to each other. One of the most obvious examples of this reaction is romance. Romanticism was born as a reaction to classicism.
What is Romanticism?
Literary currents it emerged as a reaction to each other in general. One of the most obvious examples of this reaction is romance. Romanticism was born as a reaction to classicism. Romance emerged in France in the 18th century, and completed its development by influencing the whole of Europe in the 19th century. The biggest factor in the emergence of romanticism is the French Revolution. The revolution in question destroyed the kingdom regime and created an environment of great freedom. A great enlightenment took place with the beginning of this environment of freedom. The effects of the created free environment were also reflected in art, and a movement of romance occurred. The most important representative and leader of the movement, French writer Victor Hugo announced the principles of romance to the reader and the world of literature in the preface of his play “Cromwell”.
In addition to being a writer, Victor Hugo also worked as a statesman.
Characteristics of Romanticism
– Romanticism, which emerged as a reaction to classicism, established its principles. While classicism takes its subjects from Ancient Greek and Roman mythologies, romance takes its subjects from the miracles of Christianity. The trend, which includes historical subjects, has sometimes turned to daily life.
– While in classicism, imagination is pushed to the background and the leadership of reason is taken as the basis, in romanticism emotion and imagination are in the foreground. Romantic artists who attach great importance to the human spirit and feelings think that the mind is an obstacle to emotions and dreams.
– A plain expression style in classicism is completely abandoned in romance. Romantic artists have used ornate depictions. Spiritual and environmental descriptions in romantic works are given in a very exaggerated way. Romantic artists, who have a poetic narrative, have written their works in a rather closed style.
– “Art is for art” in classicism. the understanding, “Art is for society.” It has been replaced by the idea.
In contrasts such as good-bad, right-wrong, romantic writers saw art as a tool to change the society by taking sides with the good and the truth. However, in classicism, art treats society as it is.
– The three unity rules (event, place and time unity) in classicism are ignored in romance. Romantic artists in the theater have achieved a great innovation by developing the drama genre.
– The importance that romantic artists attach to dream, emotion and enthusiasm has made a great contribution to lyrical poetry. In addition to poetry, romantic style works have been given in genres such as stories, novels, memoirs, travels, joke essays.
Representatives of Romanticism and Types of Their Works “src =” https://www.bilgiustam.com/resimler/2013/05/3910_victor_hugo.jpg “alt =” 3910_victor_hugo “width =” 290 “height =” 475 “/>
< - Victor Hugo: Theater, poetry and novel
– Voltaire: Poetry, philosophy, novel
– Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Philosophy, novel, poetry
– F. Schiller: Poetry and theater
– JW Goethe: Poetry, novel and theater
– Lamartine: Poetry and novel
– Aleksandr Pushkin: Poetry
– Alfred de Musset: Novel and short story
Romanticism in Turkish Literature
Many literary movements influenced our literature in terms of Tanzimat Literature.
However, it would be extremely wrong to call these artists completely romantic. It is possible to find some traces of romance from the works of these names. The most important of these is that the artists do not hide their personalities in their works. Apart from this feature, some description features also fit the principles of romance. However, these works are not completely called romantic works.
Tanpınar, Ahmet Hamdi, 19th Century Turkish Literature History, Çağlayan Book House, 1997
Çetişli, İsmail, Literary Movements in Western Literature, Akçağ Publications, 2011
Author: Canan Yıldırım